Students in some sections of EDPS 322 are asked to find research-based journal articles to explore how various sociodemographic variables can affect learning and the classroom environment for K-12 students in the United States.
It is possible to do a very sophisticated multi-step search in library databases to create a set of articles that might work well for this assignment. EMU librarians have worked out the searches for you. Your task is to learn how to work with a search results list to find and use the best articles for the assignment.
The Education Librarian, Kate, is offering additional appointment slots for EDPS 322 students beyond those in the online Appointment Scheduler. Email Kate at firstname.lastname@example.org to make an appointment. In your email include times that will work for you. Kate is generally available Mondays, Wednesday afternoons, Thursdays and Fridays. Also, some Saturday appointments on May 21.
1. identify common elements of scholarly research articles, and be able to discern when a item is some other type of document such as a book review, dissertation, literature review, or professional article
2. efficiently work with a results list using tools such as date limiters, abstracts & keywords, folders, and citation shortcuts
3. evaluate articles based on relevancy, format, readability, and personal interest
4. use persistent methods to obtain the full text of articles
5. know how to ask librarians for help and ways to learn advanced search techniques