There are many ways to gather and store citation in EndNote Basic. Prior to saving citations, log on to EndNote Basic (described above), then conduct your search in a database as usual. Use one of the 4 methods listed below to capture a citation:
METHOD 1: Easy export from databases (used in Web of Science, Biological Abstracts, CINAHL, or Ebsco Databases):
- From the database results list, select the reference you wish to save
- Export the citation using the "Send to EndNote Online" button (or similar)
METHOD 2: Download and Upload Citation File (SciFinder, JSTOR, Google Scholar, ESearch)
- Navigate to the article you wish to cite
- Select "Export citation" or something similar
- Select "Downloan .ris file" or "Save to EndNote Online" or something similar
- From EndNote Basic, select "Collect", then "Import References." Complete the form:
File: Upload the .ris or .enw file from your downloads
Import Options: Select RefMan for .ris files or EndNote Download for .enw files. Tip: Add these to your "favorites" so you don't have to search through the long list. You can also select the database where you found the publication.
To: Select a 'group' (or folder) in which to save the citation
- If successful, a note in red will read: [number] references were saved to "[folder/group name]"
METHOD 3: Manually Input Citation Information
- From EndNote Basic, select "Collect" a "New Reference"
- Complete as much information in the form as possible. Select "Save"
METHOD 4: Capture Reference Tool
- The Capture Reference tool is a tool that goes in your bookmark bar on your browser. It allows you to save the information of the page or article that you are currently on. To install the tool: Visit the "Options" tab on EndNote. Select "Download Installers." Follow the directions to drag the tool to your bookmark bar. Tip: you may have to change your browser settings to view your bookmark bar.
- Navigate to the article you would like to cite (this works best on journal/publisher pages, or to cite a website).
- click the Capture Reference bookmark to save the citation. A pop-up box will appear, double check all of the auto-filled information for accuracy. Tip: you may have to allow pop-ups on your browser. Select "save to my.endnote.com"
- Check EndNote to ensure that the information was successfully transferred.