1. For today, use the View Data in Tables.
2. Select Michigan and submit (Go!)
3. On the next screen in the Areaname pulldown you can choose the entire state or an individual county - today we will choose any county to start.
(Change from Michigan to one of the counties.)
4. Choose Detail for Manufacturing to expand the list of NAICS codes starting with 31-33
5. Browse down the list for your code
or use your browser's find on this page search function (Ctrl+F)
6. Scan across the table to see the total number of employees, total payroll amounts, and number of establishments for this industry in the specific county.
7. Use the Compare button to retrieve a table that compares all Michigan counties for this industry.
*Note: In some cases you will see a letter code in a field instead of a payroll number. This is because the Census Bureau will withhold info at this level if there are so few companies in the county that the info would compromise the confidentiality of a specific company.
1. Enter DemographicsNow (it can take minute for database to load)
3. Choose Businesses/people tab
3. Choose Business Custom Search
4. Use Geography Menu to set your report for companies in Michigan
5. Use Business Type menu to designate your NAICS code
6. Search to get list of companies for that industry on the State of Michigan.
Know that the sales numbers given here are just estimates, not actual figures.
7. To look for more details on a company (or companies), check the box near the company name and use the details button.
Use the back button to go back to the list.
8. To see a map of the companies, first "check" all the companies using the box near the header Company Name. Then, use the View on Map button.
Use the mapping tools to change the look of the map (unchecking Geography Selection and Thematic Layer may make it look better).
If you want to print your map, use the Export Map function to create a PDF version.
This database is available free to Michigan Citizens via the Michigan Electronic Library at mel.org. You may want to explore this extremely useful tool that can be used to create statistical tables, company lists, and custom maps.
The sources below can be used to gather background info on your industry, such as industry overviews, articles, industry associations, or market share information. Business Insights is also available to Michigan citizens via mel.org and Gateway to Associations is a free web site.