The B’nai B’rith Hillel Foundation is the world’s largest Jewish campus organization founded in 1923. The Eastern Michigan University Hillel was opened in 1954, but until 1969 it was considered a councillorship of the University of Michigan.
The students felt that they were not best represented by the University of Michigan, and in 1969 two students went to Washington to demand their autonomy. After stating their case, they were provided approval to do so. Following this, the organization was given a salaried director, program allocations and a private office, located in the basement of Starkweather.
With the help of the Bahai Club (a comparative religion organization), many Jewish and Christian dialogs were opened during Hillel’s existence. Some representations of Jewish faith on campus included Jewish speakers in the annual lecture series and others efforts that include a Jewish Awareness Week.